Who Is Roman Reigns?
Roman Reigns real name is Leati Joseph “Joe” Anoaʻi and was born on May 25, 1985. He is an American professional wrestler and a former professional Canadian football player. Roman is a member of the Anoaʻi Family that originates from American Samoa and is a family of professional wrestlers. Yes, he came from a family of professional wrestlers that is why it is not surprising that he is the reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion.
Important Highlights Of His Football Years
- Roman played 3 years in Pensacola Catholic High School.
- He played 1 year at Escambia High School
- Anoiʻa was named Defensive Player of the Year by Pensacola News Journal in his senior year.
- He became a member of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team together with Calvin Johnson.
- After his record of 29 tackles for loss and twelve sacks in 2006, Roman was named to the first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Sadly, he was undrafted in the 2007 NFL draft but was signed by the Minnesota Vikings and was also released later after a month.
- Roman was also signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars in August 2007 but then released a week later.
- Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League signed Roman in 2008. He wears the number 99 and played just 1 season with the Eskimos when he was released by them on November 10, 2008. Roman then retired from football.
Wrestling Career Highlights
- He made his WWE debut on the Survivor Series 2012 as one of the member of The Shield together with Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose.
- They are called the Hound of Justice.
- Together with Seth Rollins, they held the World Tag Team Championship for almost five months.
- On 2014, they became the biggest threat for The Authority. The Authority is a professional wrestling group of Triple H with the other WWE wrestlers.
- But sadly when The Shield and The Authority fought in the WWE ring, Seth Rollins betrayed his teammates and joined forces with the opposing team. That is the time when The Shield broke up.
WWE World Heavyweight Champion (2016-Present)
Roman Reigns had passed many obstacles on reaching the WWE World Heavyweight Champion Title. It started when he challenged Sheamus one more time for the heavyweight title. Then Reigns defend the title at the Royal Rumble match but there was an unexpected event that happened. The League attacked Roman by the order of Mr. McMahon. Because of this, Reigns was eliminated and Triple H becomes the eventual winner. Reign and Triple H fought again on the Wrestlemania 32 where he beat Triple H and provoked boos from the audience.
There was another contender again for the heavyweight champion title that Roman Reigns is holding. His name is AJ Styles. But Reigns defeated AJ at Payback and at Extreme Rules in an Extreme Rules Match. Seth Rollins made his return after that match. Right now, Roman Reigns is the reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion.