What Is UFC?
Ultimate Fighting Championship or commonly known as UFC is a famous American mixed martial arts promotion company. It is the leading and also the largest MMA promotion in the world. UFC is based in United States but it produces many events across the globe. It has 10 weight divisions that follow the Unified Rules Of Mixed Martial Arts.
When Was UFC Started?
UFC started in 1993 as a professional mixed martial arts organization. The first UFC fight was held on November 12, 1993 at the McNichols Sports Arena in Denver, Colorado.
What Is The Purpose Of UFC?
The purpose of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is to determine what is the most effective martial arts in a fight. It is a fight with minimal rules and fighters who have different techniques or fighting disciplines. These fighting disciplines are like boxing, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, sambo, wrestling, Muay Thai, karate, judo and other styles across the globe. All fighters can use their own fighting techniques as long as he will follo
w the UFC rules.
Who Are The UFC Executives?
The UFC Executives are Frank Fertitta, Dana White and Lorenzo Fertittta. They purchased the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2001. Their goal is to make the mixed martial arts as the most popular sport in the world. Since their purchase of the UFC in 2001, they made it as the fastest-growing sports organization in the world. Today, UFC holds the record of being the largest live Pay-Per-View event provider in the world.
The rules of the UFC were set by the New Jersey Athletic Control Board. These rules are called as the “Unified Rules Of Mixed Martial Arts”. Other states that regulated MMA adapted to these rules like Nevada, Louisiana and California. Many other MMA promotions also use these rules on facilitating their fights.
UFC Weight Divisions
- Strawweight up to 115 pounds
- Flyweight over 115 pounds to 125
- Bantamweight over 125 to 135 pounds
- Women’s Bantamweight over 125 to 135 pounds
- Featherweight over 135 to 145 pounds
- Lightweight over 145 to 155 pounds
- Welterweight over 155 to 170 pounds
- Middleweight over 170 to 185 pounds
- Light Heavyweight over 185 to 205 pounds
- Heavyweight over 205 to 265 pounds
- Super Heavyweight over 265 pounds
Important Note: Non-championship fights are allowed to have 1 pound weigh allowance. Championship fights should weigh no more than the allowed weight of their respective division.
UFC Champion Per Division
- FLYWEIGHT Champion : Demetrious Johnson
- BANTAMWEIGHT Champion : Dominick Cruz
- FEATHERWEIGHT Champion : Conor McGregor
- LIGHTWEIGHT Champion : Rafael Dos Anjos
- WELTERWEIGHT Champion : Robbie Lawler
- MIDDLEWEIGHT Champion : Michael Bisping
- LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT Champion : Daniel Cormier
- HEAVYWEIGHT Champion : Stipe Miocic
- WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT Champion : Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT Champion : Miesha Tate
UFC Pound-For-Pound Fighters Ranking
- Jon Jones
- Demetrious Johnson
- Dominick Cruz
- Robbie Lawler
- Rafael Dos Anjos
- Conor McGregor
- Daniel Cormier
- Jose Aldo
- Michael Bisping
- Frankie Edgar
- Stipe Miocic
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Luke Rockhold
- Chris Weidman
- Fabricio Werdum